Wednesday, September 26, 2007


Another Post.

See I told you I'm going to update more.  This shows what a nerd I really am but one of my favorite things to do is study/read while watching television/listen to music.  It just makes the whole process a lot more enjoyable.  Well as some of you may know, I'm currently reading for my thesis which looks at a particular megachurch (I won't name names!) and it's use of the media from the perspective of incorporating the secular into a sacred space.  The current book has a lot of quotes from numerous pastors and it's always interesting to read what they have to say about Christ, the Church, and doctrine.  So much of it is secondary to Culture.  
By the way, here is a picture of the church I'm studying.  It's massive.
I don't know how anyone could really enjoy being in such an atmosphere.  I just feel so lonely during these kind of services even though there are masses of people.  That's thing though; it's just a mass of people in my mind.  Where are the individual people who push me and ask the hard questions?  But on the one hand, you have all these people singing praises to God.  But is it really the one true God they are worshipping?  Only God knows their heart.  I just know that when I see quotes such as from the pastor of Second Baptist Church in Houston stating, "I take what is worldly and baptize it" (Sargent 2000) that God has called us to do far greater things than that.  It's not our job to make the world sacred.  It is our job to worship God and preach His gospel to the lost but not us but Christ working through us.  It's not as glamourous as what's offered in our megachurches is it?  Yet as I look more at those churches and in my own heart I know that I'm not much different.  "Baptizing the culture" is a lot less scary than proclaiming the kingdom of God.  They say they are baptizing the culture but really they're putting their trust in it and leaning on a culturally relevant reputation.  It's safer on our minds when we're cool and kinda Christian than nerdy and passionate for the Lord.

One of my friends is known amongst the high school kids he coaches as "bibleman".  I asked him recently if it annoyed him.  He said he takes it as a compliment.  Truly a fool for Christ.

I am so thankful for Christ's strength working in me.  I know that I am more inclined to want to remain worldly and incorporate little Christian nuggets to make me feel better about myself.  But thank God that He is not satisfied with that as He draws me to His word and guides me along my sanctification process.  If I had my way, I would be with the world.  May Your ways be my ways more and more each day, Lord.

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. - Eph 2:10


0 comments: