I realized yesterday that I'm moving in about two weeks. I could really use some prayer and maybe some advice because now it's really hitting me that there's all these things I need to do (and pay for!) as I transition into this area of my life. I still haven't found a job yet but I'm confident God will provide something. I'm on a very strict and slim moving and furniture budget so I'm trying to decide what is absolutely necessary to buy right now. I've been planning this for about a year so I've slowly acquired quite a few necessities. Here's what I have so far:
Bedding
Pots and Pans
Cups
Utensils
Towels
Spatulas and other kitchen tools
Tablecloth and napkins
And uh.. that's about it.
I'm trying to think about what I'll need that first week. I know I need to buy plates. I think I need lamps too. And lightbulbs. I'm working with pretty much nothing. It's exciting but a bit daunting as well. All those hand me downs that are expected with new places have been handed down to friends back in California. *edit* I bought my bed and headboard. It will take two weeks for them to get the headboard I want but it will delivered on the day I move.
There's just a lot to do. My head is spinning with numbers. I'm looking at my savings and current living expense numbers and projected increased living expense numbers. My last paycheck is in May so June is my month of unemployment. If I don't have a job lined up by then I'll take the temp job that I have as a backup. I know I need to call the power company to turn the electricity on in the new place. I need to sell or give away my bed frame; Kendra is, thankfully, keeping everything else for her office. I haven't set up a schedule for when these things should be done.
So any advice on where I should begin would be appreciated. Prayer for peace and wisdom, as always, is more than appreciated. You can also join me in praying for a job. Lately, I've been praying that God would not just give a job that would be a paycheck but one where I could minister to others and serve Him and others joyfully. My thoughts are on working in an environment where I'm reaching out to college students (Student Development, Academic Advisor positions) but God's thoughts are higher than mine.
*second edit* I'd love it if anyone could spare some boxes. I just need two medium sized ones I think to move my books.
3 comments:
I can get easily overwhelmed at times, too. I would just suggest that you do one thing at a time.
As for boxes, if you drive around back of liquor stores, they usually have a boat load of them.
Yikes! Moving is quite a hassle. I always feel that sense of dread, too, coming up on a move. Fortunately, you're moving during garage sale season, which should help you out with furniture. All you really *need* is a bed to sleep on. Sure a couch would be nice, but you can live for a month or so until you get the income situation figured out, or you can find one at Salvation Army or Good Will (which are right next to each other, conveniently) on the cheap. Don't worry, you don't have to have everything "together" right away, just set small goals and reach them as you can afford them. I think mine went like this: mattress, couch (cuz you can eat on the couch, and it's comfy), table and chairs. Decorations were difficult for me to not buy right off; even though they're not NEEDED they sure make things homey! But I would remember that people with decorated houses have had years to put them together, so I shouldn't expect to duplicate that in a week on a limited budget. Garage sales are a good way to collect decorative things, because that's the stuff people get tired of and want to get rid of. Hmm, that was all a bit random, but I need to go to bed now, so I'll see if I can't come up with something more sensical tomorrow.
Thanks, Helen!! And Matt!
Post a Comment