Thursday, October 16, 2008

Interim Adventures II

This part of my thesis blog series. Click here to read the first post.

The first characteristic is emotional displays. This can be considered as a visual indicator of the presence of religious individualism. Emotional displays are classified as highly energetic clapping, dancing, lifting of hands, etc. The measure of emotional display is not based on whether someone is more energetic than another but is based on the intention behind the display. The religious individualist is motivated to visually emote in order to communicate an individually pious attitude. It says to the others, "I'm serious about my spirituality and am progressing in my faith." Visual indicators are important to the religious individualist as it sets him- or herself apart from those who are not religious individualists. Non-religious individualists are seen as content in mediocrity and as conformists. Religious individualists attempt to demonstrate their individuality by considering their emotional display as personally motivated and not mandated by an outward group.

I saw this pretty frequently at Lakewood but it goes beyond just clapping and dancing. The whole intention behind emotional displays is what helps define religious individualism. The religious individualist must always communicate to others that they are doing well, spiritually speaking. Even when he or she is not. I remember watching an interview with Osteen on Larry King and the host asked him point blank, "Is the Christian life hard?" Osteen replied that it wasn't and I felt bad for him. I remember thinking, "You can say it's hard Osteen. You don't need to be the strong one. We have a Strong One." But this is the nature of the religious individualist.

Yet, too often, we are the same way. We perform for others in a way that conceals our struggles. In the same interview, I believe, Osteen said he never got angry. I suppose you could say this is a lack of an emotional display. It is still in line with the religious individualist display however as it is a calling to always be happy. This is contrasted with some of my favorite Christian biographies of men and women who praised God through their disappointments and tears. They struggled with things we all struggle with. Were they super Christians? No, they just trusted in a God who chose to do super things through them. Anyways, these are just some of the thoughts I had when I wrote about the first characteristic. Coming tomorrow: personal responsibility.

0 comments: